The path to better incident management starts here
The 7 stages of effective incident response
Incident response is an organization’s process of reacting to IT threats such as cyberattack, security breach, and server downtime.
Other IT Ops and DevOps teams may refer to the practice as major incident management or simply incident management.
The following sections describe an incident response process, what to do between realizing a service is down and getting it up and running again, based on the material in our own Incident Handbook.
In this article we’ll cover the seven key stages of incident response:
- Detect the incident
- Set up team communication channels
- Assess the impact and apply a severity level
- Communicate with customers
- Escalate to the right responders
- Delegate incident response roles
- Resolve the incident