The 7 stages of effective incident response
Tips for responding during the heat of an incident
When one of your services is on fire, there’s no time to waste.
Especially if that fire is blocking your users or business from getting stuff done. Rapid and efficient incident response involves a series of steps to drive the incident from detection to resolution.
The following sections describe an incident response process, what to do between realizing a service is down and getting it up and running again, based on the material in our own Incident Handbook.
In this article we’ll cover the seven key stages of incident response:
- Detect the incident
- Set up team communication channels
- Assess the impact and apply a severity level
- Communicate with customers
- Escalate to the right responders
- Delegate incident response roles
- Resolve the incident