Everything you need to know about buying, using, and customizing Jira Software.
Getting started with Jira tutorial: 6 basic steps
Before you begin this tutorial, sign up for your free trial of Jira Software Cloud. This guide will help you set up your first project, so keep this tab open while you sign up. Go on, we'll wait here.
Want to get started with Jira Software Server? Go here >>
Make sure to leave comments on issues so that everyone on the team can follow what's going on; this creates an open way of working, instead of restricting communicating between two people via private emails.
Although we set up your workflow using columns back in Step 3, you can also add more power to your team's workflow using the workflow editor. Here's how:
- In your project, select Project Settings > Workflows.
- Select the 'edit' icon under Actions, and Jira automatically does the following:
- Creates a draft copy of the system workflow named 'Your Project Name Workflow (Draft)'.
- Creates a new workflow scheme for the workflow named 'Your Project Name Workflow Scheme'.
- Associates any existing issues in your project with the new workflow.
- You can now edit your draft workflow. Click on a status or transition to see editing options in the panel that appears.
When you are finished, click Publish Draft. The dialog allows you to publish your draft and, optionally, save your original workflow as an inactive backup.
Although we set up your workflow using columns back in Step 3, you can also set up additional rules for your board to give your team more guardrails. Here's how:
- Select Board in the project menu on the left.
- In the top-rigth corner, select more (•••) > Manage rules.
- Click Add rule.
- Choose the rule you want to add from the list, then click Select.
- Fill out the required information to set up your rule, and click Add.
- To see the rule in action, create a test issue on your board and move it to the column with your new rule.
Bookmark these resources to stay connected with fellow Jira users, for ongoing updates about new features in Jira Software Cloud, and the latest documentation.