Jira Software issues tutorials
Create an issue
Select “Create” in the top navigation. Your issue will appear in the backlog or board of the project.
Find an issue
Perform a global search and find an issue across the entire site
The search bar in the top navigation enables you to quickly search for issues across the whole instance via issue ID or keywords. You can narrow down your search by project, assignee, and/or status.
Perform a contextual search and find an issue in the project’s board, roadmap, or backlog view
Search bars can be found in the roadmap, backlog, and board view. Issues would appear in the search results if these issues can be found that particular view.
Find an issue in a given project via Issue Navigator
Navigate to “Issues” in the sidebar navigation. Toggle between “Basic” or “JQL” modes in the top right of the screen. In Basic mode, you can type keywords in the search bar and/or use the dropdown menus to filter issues by project, issue type, status, assignee, and any fields that an issue can have. In JQL mode, you to build structured queries using the Jira Query Language (JQL) to search for issues.
Please note that the Issue Navigator is not available by default in team-managed projects. Enable this feature by going to Project Settings > Features > Issue navigator.
Add an issue type to a project
In team-managed projects:
- Select “Project Settings” in the sidebar navigation on the left, then select “Issue types”, then hit “+ Add issue type”.
- Drag and drop the types of fields you’d like to have in the issue type, and give each field type a name. You could also set the default values for each field if you’d like.
In company-managed projects:
Configure an issue’s layout
- Select any issue from your board.
- In the bottom right of the issue view, select Configure.
- Drag and drop issue fields in the appropriate regions.