What is a test?
A test is an abstraction of a test idea/scenario and a way to verify/validate associated requirement(s). It’s one or more checks, an experiment, or an investigation with the goal of obtaining information about a quality attribute of the test target.
A traditional, manual test involves a sequence of steps coupled with conditions or variables, test inputs, and expected results. It is intended to establish the quality, performance, and/or reliability of a piece within a system.
Usually, every requirement or objective of the test target is expected to achieve at least one test.
The success of a test is determined by comparing the expected and actual results.
A test can be:
- Scripted (e.g. test case or automated test) or exploratory
- Specified using Gherkin (scenario)
- Executed manually or through automation
- Linked to/cover one or more requirements
- Like any other Jira issue type, it can be labeled, prioritized, assigned to components, and commented on