HipChat Licensing and Purchasing
Our FAQ contains the most frequently asked questions relating to our licensing and pricing. Of course, if you would like to talk to us directly, please contact our Sales Team.
Data Center Licenses
- Why is Atlassian no longer offering HipChat Server?
- I'm an existing HipChat Server customer, what are my options?
- What is HipChat Data Center?
- How do I evaluate HipChat Data Center?
- What does HipChat Data Center cost?
- What does it cost to renew my HipChat Data Center license?
- How do I renew my HipChat Server license?
- What does it cost to upgrade my HipChat Data Center license?
- I am on a HipChat Server community license, do I get a community license for HipChat Data Center?
- Do I get access to the HipChat source code?
- Can I obtain a new HipChat Data Center community license?
- How do you define a HipChat user?
- Can I migrate to HipChat Data Center from HipChat Cloud?
- How is HipChat Data Center licensed?
Data Center Licenses
1. Why is Atlassian no longer offering HipChat Server?
We wanted to keep licensing simple and consistent by offering a single subscription option for our self-hosted chat solution. HipChat Data Center has all the same features of HipChat Server that you know and love plus new benefits like high availability, scalability, and improved authentication and control. Learn more.
2. I'm an existing HipChat Server customer, what are my options?
You do not have to move to HipChat Data Center right away. HipChat Server will continue to be supported according to our standard end of life policy. However, we strongly encourage that you begin to make this transition as soon as you can to get the continued benefits that will come with HipChat Data Center.
Once you move to HipChat Data Center, you can continue to run HipChat as a single node with externalized data stores if your HipChat instance serves less than 2000 users. See the System requirements for HipChat Data Center deployment to learn more about when to run a one, or three node deployment.
3. What is HipChat Data Center?
HipChat Data Center is the self-hosted enterprise messaging, built for teams. It brings you all the great features of HipChat Server, and added new enterprise grade features that allow you to cluster three nodes for uninterrupted communications and instant scalability when you need it.
4. How do I evaluate HipChat Data Center?
To evaluate HipChat Data Center, you can create an evaluation license for HipChat Data Center in My Atlassian. The HipChat Data Center download file can be found here.
5. What does HipChat Data Center cost?
HipChat Data Center is an annual term license starting at $10 for 10 users. HipChat Data Center is an annual term license regardless of the number of nodes. HipChat Data Center licenses do expire and are not perpetual like our server licenses.
|1 - 10 Users||US $10||US $10|
|11 - 25 Users||US $1,800||US $900|
|26 - 50 Users||US $3,300||US $1,650|
|51 - 100 Users||US $6,000||US $3,000|
|101 - 250 Users||US $12,000||US $6,000|
|251 - 500 Users||US $16,000||US $8,000|
|501 - 1,000 Users||US $24,000||US $12,000|
|1,001 - 2,000 Users||US $48,000||US $24,000|
|2,001 - 3,000 Users||US $72,000||US $36,000|
|3,001 - 4,000 Users||US $96,000||US $48,000|
|4,001 - 5,000 Users||US $120,000||US $60,000|
|5,001 - 6,000 Users||US $144,000||US $72,000|
|6,001 - 7,000 Users||US $168,000||US $84,000|
|7,001 - 8,000 Users||US $192,000||US $96,000|
|8,001 - 9,000 Users||US $216,000||US $108,000|
|9,001 - 10,000 Users||US $240,000||US $120,000|
|10,001 - 15,000 Users||US $264,000||US $132,000|
|15,001 - 20,000 Users||US $288,000||US $144,000|
You can create a quote for a new license purchase through the Atlassian Store.
6. What does it cost to renew my HipChat Data Center license?
HipChat Data Center is an annual term license. To continue using your HipChat Data Center instance after your initial 12 months you you will pay the full license cost at the time of renewal. See above for pricing.
7. How do I renew my HipChat Server license?
The renewal quote received around 90 days prior to expiration will include the renewal as HipChat Data Center. The same payment options for renewals apply. Upon completion of the renewal, the license will display HipChat Data Center.
8. What does it cost to upgrade my HipChat Data Center license?
HipChat Data Center upgrades are charged at a pro-rated amount for the remainder of the term license. To determine the exact upgrade cost please use our online quote and order form here.
9. I am on a HipChat Server community license, do I get a community license for HipChat Data Center?
Yes, as an existing HipChat Server customer, you will continue to have access to a community license on HipChat Data Center.
10. Do I get access to the HipChat source code?
No, HipChat Data Center does not include access to source code.
11. Can I obtain a new HipChat Data Center community license?
Yes, community licenses are available for HipChat Data Center.
12. How do you define a HipChat user?
A HipChat user is anyone that can login to HipChat Data Center and chat.
13. Can I migrate to HipChat Data Center from HipChat Cloud?
You bet! Contact HipChat Data Center Support to help you export your data from HipChat Cloud. For more details, see the Exporting from HipChat Cloud KB article.
Once you've got your data exported, import it into a HipChat Data Center deployment.
14. How is HipChat Data Center licensed?
A HipChat Data Center commercial/academic/starter license entitles you to:
- Deploy a single instance of HipChat in a production environment on a single node or three nodes by the number of users licensed
- Unlimited chat rooms, one-to-one video chat, file and screen sharing
- Annual Term use of HipChat Data Center
- Software maintenance for 12 months - including all updates and online support
An academic license is available for qualified educational and academic institutions (learn more).
Please read the Atlassian Customer Agreement for more details.
1. What is HipChat Cloud?
HipChat Cloud is our hosted offering for group and private chat, file sharing, and real time collaboration for your team. HipChat Cloud takes the worry out of managing and hosting the service and let you and your team focus on getting work done.
2. How much does HipChat Cloud cost?
HipChat Basic: Free for Unlimited Users
HipChat Plus: $2 per user/month
3. What's the difference between HipChat Basic and HipChat Plus?
Free for unlimited users
$2 per user/month
|Mac, Window, iOS and Android Apps|
|Group chat & IM|
|1-1 voice & video calling|
|1-1 screen sharing|
|History retention controls|
|Searchable message history|
4. Can I evaluate HipChat Cloud?
Go ahead, kick the tires. You have full access to all the features of HipChat Plus for 30 days. We know you'll love it, that's why we don't ask for your credit card up front. After 30 days you will need to provide a credit card to continue using the Plus features. If you do nothing we will automatically move your team to our HipChat Basic plan. Get started here!
5. Can I pay yearly?
We're happy to accommodate customers looking for yearly billing. Just contact us to get your team set up.