Bitbucket Licensing and Pricing
Our FAQ contains the most frequently asked questions relating to our licensing and pricing. Of course, if you would like to talk to us directly, please contact our Customer Advocate Team.
- What does Bitbucket Cloud cost?
- Can I pay annually?
- What is the difference between Standard and Premium?
- What do you mean by "build minute" and "file storage"?
- As a Free plan user, how do I pay for extra build minutes or file storage?
- Do I share build minutes and file storage with my team?
- Can I buy more Build Minutes?
- Can I buy more file storage for LFS?
- When will I be billed for my excess usage?
- Will you still offer free Community and Academic subscriptions?
- Is Bitbucket still free for small teams?
- What is a User? What is a Team?
- I have more questions!
- What does a new Bitbucket Server license cost?
- How much is it to renew my Bitbucket Server software maintenance?
- What is software maintenance?
- How do I request a quote?
- How is Bitbucket Server licensed?
- What is the cost to upgrade my Bitbucket Server license to a higher user tier?
- How do I purchase a server license upgrade?
Data Center Term Licenses
1. What does Bitbucket Cloud cost?
Bitbucket Cloud is priced on a per-user basis, according to Plan. The table below outlines the pricing for the available Plans:
|Price (for each Team or User account)||Included|
|Free||$0 for up to 5 Users|| |
Build Minutes: 50 minutes/month
File storage for LFS: 1 GB
$10/month for first 5 Users
$2/User/month for additional Users
Build Minutes: 500 minutes/month
File storage for LFS: 5 GB
$25/month for first 5 Users
$5/User/month for additional Users
Build Minutes: 1,000 minutes/month
File storage for LFS: 10 GB
* All prices USD
2. Can I pay annually?
Bitbucket Cloud is no longer available for Annual payments. Accounts currently on annual payment plans may remain on annual plans, however new Bitbucket accounts will renew monthly via Credit Card.
3. What is the difference between Standard and Premium?
Standard plan includes all the current features in Bitbucket including LFS and Pipelines. Premium plan is a new pricing tier for larger teams that require granular admin controls, security and auditing capabilities. Premium plan will currently include Mirroring and merge checks which are not included in the Standard plan.
4. What do you mean by "build minute" and "file storage"?
A "build minute" is one minute of machine time running a Pipelines build. 1 GB of "file storage" is the available storage space, currently through LFS, for media or other large files. This storage space is in addition to 1 GB of storage per repository.
5. As a Free plan user, how do I pay for extra build minutes or file storage?
All you need to do is add your billing details. Once you've done that, you'll get additional minutes and storage the way that Standard and Premium plan users do. We'll automatically charge you $10 for additional 1,000 build minutes and $10 / month for additional 100 GB file storage.
6. Do I share build minutes and file storage with my team?
Yes, you share the build minutes and file storage with all users on your team or account.
7. Can I buy more Build Minutes?
If you've added your billing details, we'll automatically charge you $10 for every 1,000 build minutes you start using over the minutes included in your plan.
8. Can I buy more file storage for LFS?
You don't need to buy more file storage for LFS. If you've added your billing details, we'll automatically charge you $10/month for every 100 GB you start using over the GB included in your plan.
9. When will I be billed for my excess usage?
You'll be billed at the end of your billing cycle. Each billing cycle is a month long and varies based on when we started charging you for using Bitbucket. Your Plan Details page will show you the dates of your current billing cycle and the amount of build minutes and file storage that your team used that billing period.
10. Will you still offer free Community and Academic subscriptions?
Yes! Your current free community or academic subscriptions will automatically convert to a free Standard plan (which will include 5 GB file storage for LFS and 500 build minutes for Pipelines per team) when the new pricing change takes effect. Fees will apply for additional build minutes and file storage.
11. Is Bitbucket still free for small teams?
Yes, Bitbucket is still free for individuals and small teams with up to 5 users, with unlimited public and private repositories. You also get 1 GB file storage for LFS and 50 build minutes for Pipelines per account.
12. What is a User? What is a Team?
A user is anyone with a Bitbucket account. Once you give a user access to a private repository they count as a user for your billing plan. A team is a group of users with access to shared projects and repositories. Learn More.
1. What does a new Bitbucket Server license cost?
We have designed Bitbucket Server licensing to be simple, upfront and equitable. Your initial purchase entitles you to perpetual use of the software, and includes 12 months of software maintenance – access to new software releases/enhancements, our world-class Support team, critical bug fixes, and security patches – from the date of purchase. While renewing your software maintenance annually is optional, it is strongly encouraged in order to ensure continuous access to all of the benefits listed above.
2. How much is it to renew my Bitbucket Server software maintenance?
All server licenses include 12 months of software maintenance – access to new software releases/enhancements, our world-class Support team, critical bug fixes, and security patches. Beyond this initial period, we strongly encourage renewing your software maintenance every 12 months* at our renewal pricing.
Atlassian automatically sends a no-obligation quote 90 days before the maintenance is to expire on a license. You can request a quote at any time; see this FAQ for more details. You also have the option to set up auto-renewal through my.atlassian.com.
Software maintenance renewals commence from the expiration of your active maintenance period, regardless of when the maintenance renewal is purchased. We recommend renewing at least 30 days before expiration to ensure you can upgrade to new releases and get technical assistance at any time.
3. What is software maintenance?
Software maintenance, included in your first year of use, gives you the following benefits:
- Security patches
- Critical bug fixes
- New features & enhancements
- Access to Atlassian's world-class Support team for technical troubleshooting
- Developer license keys (lets you test the upgrades before committing!)
- Potential to enroll to Beta Programs
In order for your software maintenance to remain active year-round, you must purchase it annually. Learn more about our renewing terms for software maintenance above. We also suggest making sure your business processes allow for frequent upgrades so your team can continue reaping the benefits enjoyed by other world class teams.
4. How do I request a quote?
Requesting an obligation-free quote is easy! You will just need to submit your request through our Atlassian Store. In the final step check "Get a Quote" and click submit. Only quotes submitted though our online form are considered valid, screen prints of the shopping cart is not the same as a quote.
5. How is Bitbucket Server licensed?
A Bitbucket Server commercial/academic/starter license entitles you to:
- Deploy a single instance of Bitbucket Server in a production environment accessible by the number of users licensed
- Perpetual Bitbucket Server use
- Software maintenance for 12 months — including all updates and online support
- Application source code (under a developer source license which allows for broad customization)
Licensing fees are quoted per total number of 'Bitbucket Server users'. A Bitbucket Server user is by definition any user account in the Bitbucket Server system with the 'use' permission, i.e. anyone who can view the site while logged in.
6. What is the cost to upgrade my Bitbucket Server license to a higher user tier?
You will be pleased to know that you can upgrade Bitbucket Server at any time. All data is seamlessly upgraded, and all upgrades include 12 months of software maintenance commencing from the date payment is processed. This will override any existing maintenance period.
Please Note: The below prices* are applicable for licenses purchased after 12-Oct-2018. Pricing for licenses purchased prior to 12-Oct-2018 will be calculated using the original purchase price.
For 2,001+ users, please see our Data Center Pricing.
Upgrades to Academic server licenses are 50% of the pricing seen above.
7. How do I purchase a server license upgrade?
There are two ways to generate a server license upgrade quote:
When the license's Billing Contact logs into their My.Atlassian account, they can select the license in question, followed by Upgrade. You'll then be routed to our secure Quote & Order form. You can then select the product(s) you'd like to upgrade, and the User Tier you'd like to move to. When you're finished, click Add To Cart. You can then check out, or save the no-obligation quote for later.
Upgrade quotes can be generated directly from the Atlassian Store. After logging in, you'll see Upgrade at the top of the page. You can then select the product(s) you'd like to upgrade, and the User Tier you'd like to move to. When you're finished, click Add To Cart. You can then check out, or save the no-obligation quote for later.
Data Center Term Licenses
1. What is Data Center?
Data Center is a deployment option providing high availability and performance at scale for your mission critical Atlassian applications. Our Data Center offering is available for Jira Software, Jira Service Desk, Confluence, and Bitbucket. See our Data Center information page for more details.
Please also see our Data Center FAQ for common questions.