Jira Core Licensing and Pricing
Our FAQ contains the most frequently asked questions relating to our licensing and pricing. Of course, if you would like to talk to us directly, please contact our Sales Team.
- Where can I sign up for a trial?
- What does a Jira Core Cloud subscription cost?
- How can I purchase or request a quote for Atlassian Cloud?
- What is the minimum term of service?
- What payment options are available?
- Where can I find the Atlassian Cloud Terms of Service?
- I have more questions about Jira Core Cloud
- What does a new Jira Core license cost?
- How much is it to renew my Jira Core software maintenance?
- What is software maintenance?
- How do I request a quote?
- How are add-ons licensed?
- What do I do if Jira Core has exceeded the Licensed User Count?
- How is Jira Core Server licensed?
- What is the cost to upgrade my Jira Core Server license to a higher user tier?
- How do I purchase a Server license upgrade?
Data Center Term Licenses
1. Where can I sign up for a trial?
Atlassian Cloud can be trialed for free, please visit Try Atlassian Cloud to start a trial.
Already using Atlassian Cloud? Site Administrators can navigate to the System Administration section of your Cloud site and add or remove applications and/or apps as needed.
Please note: Removing applications or apps takes effect immediately and no credit or refund will be offered for removing applications or add-ons early.
2. What does a Jira Core Cloud subscription cost?
We offer a la carte pricing for Atlassian Cloud. Your subscription starts with either Jira Core, Jira Software, Jira Service Desk, or Confluence as its foundation. From there, you can choose from available add-ons (like Portfolio for Jira) and additional applications.
Our monthly pricing is progressive, meaning that we offer volume discounts as you add more users. Each users' unit price is based on the pricing rate in which the user falls.
3. How can I purchase or request a quote for Atlassian Cloud?
The monthly payment plan can only be paid with a credit card or PayPal account associated with the subscription.
To request a quote for the annual payment option, please Contact Us with your Atlassian Cloud url.
4. What is the minimum term of service?
The minimum term of service is one month. You can choose to renew on a month by month basis, or you can purchase a year in advance.
5. What payment options are available?
Monthly: Monthly subscriptions are limited to payment via credit card or PayPal. To update the credit card or PayPal account details on file, please see the How do I update the credit card or PayPal account on file? FAQ.
Annual: Annual subscriptions can be paid via credit card, mailed check or bank transfer, complete payment details appear on an official quote. To request a quote for the annual payment option, please Contact Us with your Atlassian Cloud URL or SEN (SEN-XXXXXX).
6. Where can I find the Atlassian Cloud Terms of Service?
Please see our Cloud Terms of Service for more information.
7. I have more questions about Jira Core Cloud
Great, because we have more answers! Please see our complete Atlassian Cloud FAQ.
1. What does a new Jira Core license cost?
We have designed Jira Core licensing to be simple, upfront and equitable. Your initial purchase entitles you to perpetual use of the software, and includes 12 months of software maintenance – access to new software releases/enhancements, our world-class Support team, critical bug fixes, and security patches – from the date of purchase. While renewing your software maintenance annually is optional, it is strongly encouraged in order to ensure continuous access to all of the benefits listed above.
2. How much is it to renew my Jira Core software maintenance?
All server licenses include 12 months of software maintenance – access to new software releases/enhancements, our world-class Support team, critical bug fixes, and security patches. Beyond this initial period, we strongly encourage renewing your software maintenance every 12 months* at our renewal pricing.
3. What is software maintenance?
Software maintenance, included in your first year of use*, gives you the following benefits:
- Security patches
- Critical bug fixes
- New features & enhancements
- Access to Atlassian's world-class Support team for technical troubleshooting
- Developer license* keys (lets you test the upgrades before committing!)
- Potential to enroll in Beta Programs
In order for your software maintenance to remain active year-round, you must purchase it annually. Learn more about our renewing terms for software maintenance above. We also suggest making sure your business processes allow for frequent upgrades so your team can continue reaping the benefits enjoyed by other world-class teams.
*Please note that 10-User Starter server licenses are not eligible for non-production Developer licenses or Technical Support.
4. How do I request a quote?
Requesting an obligation-free quote is easy! You will just need to submit your request through our Atlassian Store. In the final step check "Get a Quote" and click submit. Only quotes submitted though our online form are considered valid, screen prints of the shopping cart is not the same as a quote.
5. How are add-ons licensed?
Add-on licenses must match the Jira Core user count and type. For instance, a 25 user commercial Jira Core Server license will require a 25 user commercial Capture for Jira license.
6. What do I do if Jira Core has exceeded the Licensed User Count?
An active user in Jira Core is by definition any user account in the system with the "Jira Users" global permission, i.e. anyone who can log in. Unlimited 'anonymous users' are permitted on all licenses.
If you have exceeded your license count, you will need to remove users or groups from the "Jira Users" global permission. See Unable to Create Issues due to Exceeded License.
7. How is Jira Core Server licensed?
A Jira Core Server commercial/academic/starter license entitles you to:
- Deploy a single instance of Jira Core in a production environment on 1 server
- Unlimited projects and issues
- Perpetual Jira Core use
- Software maintenance for 12 months - including all updates and online support
- Application source code (under a developer source license which allows for broad customization)
Licensing fees are quoted per number of 'active users.' An active user in Jira Core is by definition any user account in the system with the "Jira Core Users" global permission or the "Jira Administrators" permission, i.e. anyone who can log in. Unlimited 'anonymous users' are permitted on all licenses.
8. What is the cost to upgrade my Jira Core Server license to a higher user tier?
You will be pleased to know that you can upgrade Jira Core at any time. The upgrade process is very simple, and all your data is preserved. Upgrades include 12 months of software maintenance commencing from the date payment is processed. This will override any existing maintenance period.
Please Note: The below prices* are applicable for licenses purchased after 12-Oct-2018. Pricing for licenses purchased prior to 12-Oct-2018 will be calculated using the original purchase price.
Upgrades to Academic server licenses are 50% of the pricing seen above.
Note: If you're using Portfolio for Jira or any other Marketplace app, the app license must match the user tier of the parent product. For example, a 500-User Jira Core license will require a 500-User Portfolio for Jira license.
Starter licenses can be upgraded to a higher tier for the price of a new license at the desired tier.
9. How do I purchase a Server license upgrade?
There are two ways to generate a server license upgrade quote:
When the license's Billing Contact logs into their My.Atlassian account, they can select the license in question, followed by Upgrade. You'll then be routed to our secure Quote & Order form. You can then select the product(s) you'd like to upgrade, and the User Tier you'd like to move to. When you're finished, click Add To Cart. You can then check out, or save the no-obligation quote for later.
Upgrade quotes can be generated directly from the Atlassian Store. After logging in, you'll see Upgrade at the top of the page. You can then select the product(s) you'd like to upgrade, and the User Tier you'd like to move to. When you're finished, click Add To Cart. You can then check out, or save the no-obligation quote for later.
Data Center Term Licenses
1. Is Jira Core Data Center available?
Data Center is a deployment option providing high availability and performance at scale for your mission critical Atlassian applications. Currently our Data Center offering is not available for Jira Core. See our Data Center information page for more details.