Got 5 minutes? Then you've got time to start making the personal connections that help us do our best work together. We hand-picked a few that build relationships as well as help move your work forward.
USE THIS PLAY TO...
Get to know the people you work with and let them get to know you.
Prime your brains for strategic planning, brainstorming, and problem-solving.
3 - 100
5 - 30 min
Running the play
Pull these tricks out of your hat when you're waiting for people to trickle into a meeting, or at the beginning of an offsite centered on brainstorming and problem-solving. Have fun!
Whiteboard or butcher paper
SUPER QUICK ICEBREAKER QUESTIONS
Got a minute or two while people trickle into the meeting? Toss out a question and have a bit of fun.
QUESTIONS WITH PURPOSE
What will be the title of your autobiography?
- Theme: Summarizing complex events or concepts
- Purpose: Prepare for activities like crafting a vision statement.
What is your superhero name?
- Theme: Naming stuff is hard!
- Purpose: Practice packing a lot of info into a single, evocative word or phrase.
Who was your first mentor, and what qualities made them a good (or lousy) one?
- Theme: Teamwork and support is important
- Purpose: Reinforce the idea that relying on each other is a part of growth – good for projects or teams with lots of dependencies.
When did you call customer service to complain?
- Theme: Empathizing with customers
- Purpose: Remembering what it feels like to be on the customer side of a bad product or service puts us in a compassionate frame of mind before discussing trade-offs or designing a new user experience.
What is one thing you learned from a project that went wrong?
- Theme: Failures are learning opportunities
- Purpose: Focus on risk identification and mitigation.
"JUST FOR FUN" QUESTIONS
Print and assemble one of our icebreaker dice for a little extra fun, or just choose one of the questions below.
- What animal would you choose to be, and why?
- What is the last dream you remember?
- How do you let teammates know you're in deep work mode?
- Where would you vacation if money were no object?
- Books, magazines, or podcasts?
- What car did you learn to drive on?
- What is one thing you're grateful for today?
- When you read or watch TV, do you go for fiction or non-fiction?
- Coffee, tea, or soda?
- Can you remember a bumper sticker that made you smile?
FILL IN THE BLANKS
I have never ________________.
My friends love me for my ________________.
If my pet could talk, it would say ________________.
One ____________ is better than ten ________________.
Be sure to run a full Health Monitor session or checkpoint with your team to see if you're improving.
For more, check out this list of icebreaker games from our pals at Culture Amp.
If you snapped pictures or grabbed video (especially of Telephone Charades), share them afterward. Try to resist getting a case of the giggles all over again – and good luck with that.
Want even more Playbook?
Drop your email below to be notified when we add new Health Monitors and plays.
Drop a question or comment on the Atlassian Community site.