Atlassian Careers Privacy Notice
Effective starting: December 20, 2018
What this notice covers
Thank you for your interest in joining our Team! Your privacy is important to us, and so is being transparent about how we collect, use, and share information about you when you apply for a position with Atlassian. This notice also explains your choices, including how you can access and update information about you and how you can object to certain uses of it.
When we refer to Atlassian, we or us, we mean Atlassian Inc. and the Atlassian company to which you are submitting your application as identified in the job posting.
What information we collect about you
We collect the following types of information when we consider you for job opportunities with Atlassian.
Information you provide to us: When you apply for a position, you will be asked to submit your contact details, your resume/CV, employment history, job preferences, educational background, achievements, career trajectory and interests, immigration status and entitlement to work, in addition to information for diversity monitoring, such as your gender, race, disability or veteran status.
Some of the information above is required to process your application, such as contact details and resume/CV. Other information is only collected if you choose to share it with us. We indicate which information is mandatory on our career portal.
Information we receive from other sources:
When we consider you for job opportunities at Atlassian, we may receive information about you from the following sources:
- Your LinkedIn profile information if you decide to share it with us or apply to us through LinkedIn.
- Recruitment and staffing partners or other jobs websites (such as Indeed) if you apply to us through that website.
- If you're being referred, we process information that the person referring you provides about you.
- We may ask for references from your previous employers or academic supervisors.
- We may receive information from other publicly available sources, such as information that you have chosen to make public online on job search and other career social networking sites.
- We also receive information such as your education, work experience, and contact information from third-party data providers who have the rights to provide us with your information. These providers collect your information from publicly available sources, or through third parties they work with.
- Where it is relevant for the position, we may receive information from professional licensing and certification bodies, employment research firms, identity verification services, and educational and training institutions. In certain countries, where permitted or required by law, we conduct financial or background checks once you have accepted a conditional offer from us.
Information we collect automatically: When you submit an application through our careers page, we collect information sent to us by the device you use to submit your application, such as your computer IP address, device identifiers and how you arrived at the our website. For more information, please see our Cookies and Tracking Notice.
How we use information we collect
When considering you for job opportunities with Atlassian, we use your information in the following ways:
To review and process your application and assess your suitability for employment at Atlassian, including to:
- Make informed decisions on recruitment and assess your suitability for the role.
- Facilitate the interview/recruiting process.
- Verify the information you or others provide, and to check your references.
- Reimburse you for any agreed expenses and travel.
- Communicate with you through the course of the application process.
For legitimate business purposes, including:
- Where you have previously applied for a position directly with Atlassian, to contact you about future career opportunities that may interest you.
- To evaluate and improve our recruitment processes and activities.
- To prepare and perform management reporting and to perform analysis related to recruiting metrics.
- To create and submit reports as required by applicable law or regulation.
- Where we have identified you as a potential candidate from information that we've collected from public sources or have received from a third party, we process your information in order to suggest suitable opportunities for you at Atlassian.
- We also use information from candidates to administer legal claims and maintain the security and integrity of our facilities, equipment and electronic platforms.
With your consent:
- We use information about you where you have given us consent to do so for a specific purpose not listed above. For example, we may conduct diversity monitoring with your information if you elect to share it with us for that purpose.
As required by law:
- We use information about you to comply with our legal obligations, including confirming your eligibility to work in the country in which you applied for a job.
- If you are successful and accept a conditional offer from us, we will also carry out other background checks as permitted or required by local law. We will provide more information about these checks before they are carried out.
How we share information we collect
Atlassian companies: We share your information with other Atlassian corporate affiliates (e.g., where necessary to facilitate and track the application process, to evaluate your candidacy, etc.). In addition, Atlassian corporate affiliates share infrastructure, systems and technology to process your information to ensure efficiency and security, as permitted by applicable law, and in accordance with this Notice.
Service providers: We work with third-party companies (under contract to us) for the purpose of facilitating the recruitment process, such as recruitment and executive search partners, travel and accommodation services, relocation providers, training providers, background check providers (when applicable), help desk providers, and external consultants and legal advisors.
Compliance with applicable laws and protecting our rights: In exceptional circumstances, we may share information about you with a third party if we believe that sharing is reasonably necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, or protect our legitimate interests in compliance with applicable laws, such as protect the security or integrity of our equipment and facilities or defend our legal rights.
Transferring information from the European Economic Area (EEA): If you are in the EEA and we transfer your information to Atlassian companies located in countries that do not have equivalent data protection laws (such as the U.S. and Australia), we make use of standard contractual data protection clauses, which have been approved by the European Commission, and we rely on the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework to safeguard the transfer. We also rely on these mechanisms to secure transfers to third-party service providers in countries that do not have equivalent data protection laws. When you apply for a position with an Atlassian entity outside of the EEA, the transfer of your information to that country is necessary in order to process your application and assess your suitability for the role. For more information on our Privacy Shield certification, please consult our Privacy Shield Notice or contact us as provided below.
How long we keep information
We will retain information about you during the recruitment process. Following the end of the recruitment process we will store information as follows:
If you are successful: We will retain your information in order to manage our employment relationship with you. The information you submit as part of your application will form part of your employee file and we will issue a separate privacy notice, detailing how your information will be used and your rights as an employee.
If you are not successful: We would like to retain your details on file so that we can keep you in mind for future recruitment. If you’d rather we didn’t keep your details on file, please let us know and we will retain your details only as required under applicable law (e.g., for record-keeping purposes, to resolve disputes, etc.).
How to access and control your information
Access and update your information: Depending on applicable law, you may ask us for a copy of the information about you that we hold, and, where you gave it to us directly, we will provide it to you in a commonly-used electronic format. If the information about you is incorrect or out of date, you may ask us to update it, but this may not affect your application if we have already filled the position or assessed your candidacy based on the information first provided.
Request that we stop using or delete your information: If you would no longer like to be considered for a position, you may withdraw your application at any time. Depending on applicable law, you may also ask us to delete certain information about you after you withdraw your application or after we have finished considering your application.
To make a request, please contact us as provided below. If you feel we have not adequately addressed your privacy concerns, you may have the right to contact a data protection authority where you live, work or feel your rights were infringed.
Your information is controlled by Atlassian, Inc. and the Atlassian company identified on the job posting to which you applied. If you have questions or concerns, please direct your inquiry to Atlassian, Inc., which we have appointed to be responsible for facilitating such inquiries.
350 Bush Street
San Francisco, CA 94104