2016 has certainly been a year for the books. All year long the Bitbucket Server & Data Center team has been improving Bitbucket and adding new features you have requested. You told us that modern software developers require tools that are reliable, let them move fast, and build with high quality. We took your feedback to heart and built features that enable collaborative development without sacrificing speed or performance.
One hundred customer suggestions resolved, 100+ Bitbucket T-shirts printed, and thousands of cups of coffee consumed is one way to describe 2016 for Bitbucket Server, but that only scratches the surface. To celebrate the launch of our final release in 2016, we thought it only fitting to review our development stats and favorite new features of the year.
Bitbucket Server team landscape
Our Bitbucket team was busy coding, designing, and documenting throughout the year. Here’s a peek at some of our most interesting stats.
Favorite new features
A year in review post wouldn’t be complete without a look at our most memorable features. From boosting performance for geographically dispersed teams to creating an unrivaled pull request workflow, we did something for everyone.
- Sped up clone & fetch times for remote teams with smart mirroring for Bitbucket Data Center.
- Added support for storing large binary assets with Git LFS.
- Saved developers time by automatically transitioning JIRA issues with smart commits.
- Pull request progress became easier to track with reviewer status.
- Resolved one of our most requested feature suggestions with code search across projects and repositories.
- Reduced downtime by providing 0 downtime backups.
- Allowed developers to review code at the commit level.
- Made pull request creation faster with default reviewers.
- Made sure Bitbucket Data Center can outlast a disaster with disaster recovery support.
- Gave developers control over pull request merge strategies.
- Made it possible to deploy Bitbucket Data Center in just a few minutes with AWS CloudFormation Templates.
- Created a personal dashboard to find all your work in one place.
- Streamlined the code review process with iterative reviews.
- Made Bitbucket Data Center easier to load test with the Elastic Experiment Executor.
- Today: Releasing our final update of 2016, Bitbucket Server 4.12, including 20 bugs and suggestions resolved.
The end of a busy year
In the software development world, every new year brings about new technologies and ways of working. Since Bitbucket Server’s beginning in 2012, it has been our privilege to find creative and thoughtful ways to make these changes available to you. Bitbucket Server 4.12, available today, caps off a year full of releases that do just that – bring modern software development to professional teams.
As 2016 comes to an end, we’d like to send a big thank you to all of our customers. You are the reason we get to do what we love every single day.
Start the new year off right and upgrade to Bitbucket Server 4.12 today.