1) Make it public

Making your pricing public is the critical first step because customers want it! Using Google Analytics, we study traffic patterns and popularity of every page on our web site. The percent of visitors who actually visit Atlassian’s pricing pages so shockingly high that if you don’t disclose your pricing, you should at least put it up as an A/B test to check the impact on your visitors. When you put yourself in the prospect’s shoes, they are all asking the qualifying question ‘is this affordable enough so that I should spend time learning more?’ The worst possible scenario is having a likely prospect stop learning about your product simply because they thought they couldn’t afford it. Making your pricing public engages the right customers with the least amount of effort.

2) Create an incontrovertible offer
JIRA_Starter_License_Pricing_table-1.jpg

Pricing tables provide a platform for marketers to get across their key messages. One key message we wanted to share at Atlassian is that JIRA is accessible to even the smallest development team. To accomplish this, we created the Starter License concept to get small team’s going for only $10. To sweeten the offer and make it incontrovertible, we set it up so that all proceeds from the campaign go to charity. The approach has added nearly $500,000 in charitable donations to Room to Read and thousands of new customers for Atlassian.

3) Apply the 3 second rule
JIRA_pricing_table.jpg

This great rule for judging when the edibility of food that’s fallen on the ground, also helps for designing pricing tables. Any head-scratching and you can lose your visitor. We have tracked average time on site across multiple iterations of the Atlassian website. Regardless of how we orient the content, the average customer’s time commitment to our content stays the same. In this context, the clock is ticking and it is way more advantageous for you to have the visitor learning about your product instead of the intricacies of your pricing. Always aim to get visitors in and out of this page with the smallest tax to their brains.

4) Elegantly hide the 20%

To meet the three second rule, secondary navigation elements are critical. These navigation elements remove the clutter from your pricing table to impact the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time. The screenshot below shows how we have used tabs to break apart the price list categories and a toggle between hosted pricing options.

JIRA_Issue_Teacker_pricing_navigation.jpg

In the end, 80% of folks get exactly what they need in 3 seconds while the remaining 20% can get what they want in just a few seconds more.

5) Make them sexy

Design is a critical element of pricing tables. Spending extra time twelve different iterations and reviewing every pixel on your border width is money well spent. It is easy to just throw something up on your website and work onto the ‘real’ content of defining your features. The usage stats from Atlassian.com prove that pricing pages are equally as important as product content. With the high visit rates of our pricing we rebuilt the JIRA web property with the expectations that the pricing page was the most critical page on the whole property. The dollar participation stats from Google Analytics have confirmed this is money well spent.

Do our pricing pages actually meet the design goals I’ve mentioned. Let us know your thoughts.

Fresh ideas, announcements, and inspiration for your team, delivered weekly.

Subscribe now

Fresh ideas, announcements, and inspiration for your team, delivered weekly.

Subscribe now