Cloud adoption continues to increase, and although Forbes projects that 83% of enterprise workloads will be in the cloud by 2020, that leaves approximately 17% still on-premises. For many organizations, a hybrid approach to infrastructure strikes the right balance. Regardless, whether running cloud, on-prem, or hybrid environments, IT teams must stay aware and in control during incidents and service disruptions. This need was the reason we built Edge Connector for Opsgenie.

Reliable alerting for any infrastructure

How to choose the right infrastructure for your Data Center deployment

A successor of Marid, Edge Connector for Opsgenie is a lightweight edge application that can be deployed on-prem or in the cloud to provide a secure, bi-directional integration for systems that are not accessible to the internet. Edge Connector communicates with Opsgenie without requiring inbound connections through your firewall. Alert events are then fetched from Opsgenie and updated within your on-prem applications.

Whether you’re using Jira, SolarWinds, Nagios, Zabbix, or another on-prem tool, Edge Connector listens for alert action events and then runs a mapped action (a script or executable) against that event in your on-prem environment.

Marid offered some of this functionality, but Edge Connector is an enhanced version with more flexibility. It’s just as secure, thanks to compatibility with proxy servers and industry-standard HTTPS/TLS Encryption, but you can now utilize scripts in any language, including Python, Go, Groovy, and shell scripts. What’s more, you don’t need to install agents on every monitoring server to send Opsgenie actions back to internal systems, which reduces system overhead and maintenance costs.

Customized, faster incident response

Using Custom Actions with Edge Connector enables you to respond quickly and automatically during incidents. You can tailor scripts for Custom Actions to enrich alerts by pinging a host, restarting a server, attaching files, and more.

Edge Connector is currently in beta, and will only be available as part of the Standard and Enterprise plans. If you’re interested in trying it out, please reach out to our Technical Support Team via the Community. We also encourage you to check out this Community post written from the perspective of a developer who built Edge Connector.

Stay ahead of incidents with Edge Connector for Opsgenie