Teamwork makes the dream work.
Gag. Every time I see a corny teamwork quote like this surfacing around the internet, I die a little bit inside. Don’t you?
Of course, teamwork is amazing. But it’s also hard and challenging. It’s definitely not the contrived version we see too often on slide decks.
How can we think about teamwork differently? How can we admit the challenge that working with others provides, while also celebrating the power of working together?
Here’s a list of teamwork quotes that don’t make me want to throw up a little bit in my mouth. Instead, they make me think deeply about the work I’m doing with my team and what it all means. Do they pass your gag test, too?
1. “When you hand good people possibility, they do great things.” ― Biz Stone
2. “Cooperation is the thorough conviction that nobody can get there unless everybody gets there.” ― Virginia Burden
3. “There is no such thing as a self-made man. You will reach your goals only with the help of others.” ― George Shinn
4. “If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.”― Isaac Newton
5. “The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can’t be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it.” ― Elbert Hubbard
6. “The way to achieve your own success is to be willing to help somebody else get it first.” ― Iyanla Vanzant
7. “Never confuse movement with action.” ― Ernest Hemingway
8. “It’s better to be alone than in bad company.” ― George Washington
9. “The strength of the team is each individual member. The strength of each member is the team.” ― Phil Jackson
10. “Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you, spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life forever.”― Amy Poehler
11. “To be good, and to do good, is all we have to do.” ― John Adams
12. “We rise by lifting others” ― Robert Ingersoll
13. “If you take out the team in teamwork, it’s just work. Now who wants that?” ― Matthew Woodring Stover
14. “In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity” ― Sun Tzu
15. “A great leader takes people where they don’t necessarily want to go, but ought to be.” ― Rosalynn Carter
16. “I don’t like that man. I must get to know him better.” ― Abraham Lincoln
17. “Our destiny is not written for us, it’s written by us” — Barack Obama
18. “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.”— Harry S Truman
We hope these are useful to the teamwork you do. At Atlassian, we’re helping teams unleash their potential through open ways of thinking, working, and being. And we have some tools that help out with that, too.
To get more articles and tips on teamwork below ⬇.
Get stories like this in your inbox